Sunday, May 16, 2010

Can people hear your influences in your playing?

I've had people tell me that my music reminds them of Alice in Chains mixed w/ Megadeth/Metallica, and that's cool, it used to bug me that people compare but I'm pretty over it now. But yesterday someone told me they hear Creedence Clearwater Revival in my playing/songwriting and that really surprised me. Because I DO listen to Creedence (deep down I think John Fogerty is THE MASTER song'smith.) But I never realized you could hear it in my playing or anything. You know, "metal guy!" roar, roar, roar! Up the Irons! *Fist Pump!* Etc. So I was really surprised when the guy said he heard Creedence.

Well actually at first he said country and I was like, "No way man, I've never listened to country." and he followed with, "well more like CCR actually."

Just kind of surprised me. I didn't realize I'm wearing my influences on my sleeve like that.

Then again, I guess being a mix of Creedence/Alice in Chains/Megadeth isn't such a bad thing.

Can people hear YOUR influences when you play?

No comments:

Post a Comment