Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Like Poly! There, I said it.

I know that it at least seems like most people hate poly finishes on an electric guitar. But I must confess, I find myself really liking them. They stay looking new, scratches come right out when I polish them, and they feel durable and will keep moisture and acid sweat from seeping down into the wood and potentially rotting it out. I always use to dog out my guitars and beat the hell out of them, and of course had to set them up all the time too. But now I realize that taking care of them they work a lot better, they stay looking new and shiny and they keep working just fine. My CV50 taught me that poly and taking care of your guitar is not really the bad things I thought they were.

I've played and owned natural guitars and light finish guitars, and they're nice too I'm not knocking it. But I find just as much resonance and unplugged volume coming out of my poly guitars as I do out of any guitars I've ever owned. For example even in my youtube/Life gets in the Way video you can hear the strings on my Agile guitar very loud and clear even though the mic was 6 feet away from the guitar and the amp was on and turned up. That's a very loud, poly coated guitar. You can hear it unplugged on the other side of my apartment, it's ridiculous. (it's also become my #2 favorite because of it's resonance and volume.)

But I just don't get the Hate On that some people seem to have for poly. Not only does it not bother me to have a poly coated guitar, I appreciate the benefits it brings to the instrument.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind, and I understand that some people will never want poly on their guitar, but I thought I'd express some love for the benefits of the oft hated poly.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed.
    It seems to be a bad trait amongst many people to ignorantly hate something than to know it's value. granted in some cases their hatred has validity, but I feel those situations are outside of the Guitar industry. For me, the only bad thing about Guitars is the marketing. For me the mention of Tone as a trivial reference to... basically magic, pisses me off as it is all too often followed by some pseudoscience BS. you can know a lot about Guitars and yet know absolutely nothing. Why? because you've been told and sold utter BS. I've had the misfortune to actually be forced out of mainstream schooling, not because I'm not a model student but because I was a national academic statistic instead of a human being. So I've had a lot of time to analyze all the Tone talk.
    "The wise man questions the wisdom of others because he questions his own, the foolish man, because it is different from his own."
    "The Truth shall set you free"

    ReplyDelete