Sunday, May 23, 2010

Women and Food

I'm not trying to bash the ladies, I love the ladies. But I've noticed there's this weird thing about them and food. When a guy is hungry, he gets some food. When a woman gets hungry it seems like she talks about it for hours before she actually gets any food. Or she'll complain to her friends or significant other until they get them food. Not sure if it's some kind of genetic 'Hunter/Gatherer' thing, but it's weird.

I first noticed it when I was about 20 and playing in a band in Baltimore. I'd taken my girlfriend to practice and she starting complaining very loudly that she was hungry. To the point where we had to stop practice to go get her food. For a long time I thought it was a freak thing, but then I noticed more and more times where a woman would loudly complain about getting food. I would always think, "then go get yourself some food, jesus quit talking about it and do something."

and then today I overhear (because honestly I was trying really hard to ignore it) a 2 hour conversation on food. What do you want to get? IDK, what do you want to get? And then one of them loudly exclaiming, "I'm Hungry!" And I always think, "Then get some FOOD!"

I guess I'm sexist because I always thought women were better cooks, and while I'm not saying I expect a woman to serve me food I'd would tend to expect that more then I would expect a guy to serve me food. I can't picture a group of guys hanging out while one of them keeps loudly complaining about how hungry he is, because every guy knows that in a group setting like that it wouldn't be long before the complaining individual is told in no uncertain terms to, "Go fix yourself some f**king food and quit b****ing about it!"

But I submit to you that if you know a woman who is loudly complaining about being hungry, that now is not the time to tell her, "Go fix yourself some f**king food and quit b****ing about it!" because her anger over being hungry will now be directed towards you. And us guys have soft vulnerable spots that do not receive kicks very well.

So while todays posting may be a bit of a b****y rant offering no valuable solutions, I just thought it might be interesting to comment on the phenomena I've noticed.

When men in a group are hungry, we make or get food. When women in a group get hungry they have to talk about it for hours in the hopes that someone will make/bring them food.

I find the whole thing very odd, but I'm slowly learning that discussing food makes my brain shut off completely. Food is what we eat because we need to eat to fuel our bodies, I can't imagine people sitting around talking for hours about how they're out of gas for their car, so why do people sit around complaining about how their bodies are out of fuel? Go. Get. Some. Food!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy but true. My Mom is a perfect example of this.
    As far back as I can remember food was always a MAJOR focal point for her. Maybe growing up in WWII Canada and the lack of food is behind that.
    She's 80 now and the first thing she says to me EVERY time I see or talk to her is "Have you eaten"? or I'm hungry.
    I have noticed that about females in general. Its about lunch or dinner. More so than a group of guys.

    ReplyDelete