Sunday, May 16, 2010

Frets and Fretwire

Why oh why do the frets wear down so? Why can't fretwire be made of sterner stuff? What about iron or steel fret wire or something that wont wear down so fast?

And the inconsistencies? One guitar wears down so fast it's like the frets are made of solder, but another guitar wears down slower. I sold my Green Dog weeks ago because I'd worn the frets down so bad. And I was looking at my bass players Strat last night and every fret down to around the 15th has deep, deep grooves worn into them from the top 3 strings.

Is it something about the manufacturing where they need a weaker metal to install them? I just don't get it.

Why do the frets wear down, and why do they wear down so fast on some guitars? (admittedly less expensive guitars.)

I feel this is a design/engineering flaw that should be corrected on future guitars. Forget installing computers into the guitars and all that stuff, just make a guitar that doesn't wear out and fall apart. That's all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment